How we can help your school
Practically all schools are required by law to appoint a data protection officer. As education solicitors, HY Education can act as your school’s Data Protection Officer, as well as offering proactive compliance support. This involves a member of our data protection team visiting your school and implementing a compliance programme designed to satisfy your obligations under the GDPR.
Data Protection can be difficult to understand at first, but with our education sector expertise, we can give you the confidence to run your school feeling compliant and supported. We understand that a school’s top priority is education, so we’re here to advise on complex legal matters so you can get back to what matters most.
Under the GDPR, a data Protection Officer must:
- Have expertise in national and European data protection law and practices
- Have an in-depth understanding of the GDPR
- Have good knowledge of the sector of the organisation it is designated to
- Operate with integrity and high professional ethics; and
- Not have a conflict of interest i.e. be someone in a position of seniority that makes data processing decisions
What we do as DPO
- Provide unlimited telephone and email advice from education and data protection specialist lawyers
- Act as the school's contact point with the ICO
- Help you manage subject access requests, providing advice on redaction and exclusions and drafting correspondence
- Record and advise your school on data breaches including assessing whether a breach has crossed the reporting threshold
- Provide regular video bulletins which can be shared with personnel as a means of continuous development
Our Compliance Programme
- We will conduct a comprehensive information audit to create the school's Article 30 record of processing activities
- Provide a full documentation suite including privacy notices, data protection policy, data breach procedure, information access procedures and more
- Provide training specifically tailored to your school's stakeholders including govenors, SLT and all staff members
- Conduct Data Protection Impact Assessments
Hear from some of our clients
Tredworth Infant and
We use Education+ for everyday HR support but also for legal issues which have included changing our school name, advice on Special Educational Needs and managing supply contracts. This is a complete education advice service covering all of our legal and HR needs and at excellent value.
Nitesh Gor OBE
CEO at Avanti Schools Trust
We have been extremely impressed by the professionalism, timeliness and reliability of their advice. But perhaps what truly differentiates their service is their highly personalised approach to us as a client. They have supported us on some truly complex and sensitive issues and have exceeded our high expectations. We would have no hesitation in recommending them to any school or multi-academy trust.
Their services are unique, modern and client focused. We have no hesitation in recommending HY Education as a provider of specialist legal advice in the education sector.
Lansbury Bridge School
& Sports College
From our first contact we have been impressed with their professionalism, knowledge and experience. Not only are they very approachable and quick to respond to any queries we have, the customer service from their wider team has been impressive. We would highly recommend the service to others.