Thank you for visiting our website!
In providing privacy information to you, our intention is to try and do so in a way which is easy to understand so that you feel assured that your data is being processed lawfully and kept secure. It is also intended to provide you with other information which is required under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Data Protection Act 2018 (DPA). The GDPR and DPA contain the key laws relating to data protection.
If you require any further information about data protection or the GDPR, we would recommend visiting the ICO website where you will find some excellent resources which are easy to understand https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/
It is important to us, and a legal requirement, that we are transparent about how we process your personal information. As a business that processes personal information for purposes which we determine, we identify ourselves as a “data controller”. This means that we collect and use personal information for specified purposes which this Privacy Notice has been designed to tell you about.
The Data Protection Representative
HY Education has a nominated Data Protection Representative (DPR), Dean Hulse (Director) who can be contacted by telephone on 0161 543 8884 or by email (DPO@hyeducation.co.uk). The DPR is responsible for supporting and advising the company in relation to data protection issues and you can contact the DPR should you wish to discuss any issues or concerns that you have about data protection.
What data we collect
We will collect the following personal data:
- Contact information: your name, position, role, company or organisation, telephone, email address and postal address
- Business information: data identifying you in relation to matters on which you instruct us or in which you are involved
- Instructions information: information which you provide to us to progress your instructions
- Financial Data: includes bank account and payment card details, information about payments to and from you and other details of products and services you have purchased from us
- Marketing and Communications Data: includes your preferences in receiving marketing
- Supplier data: contact details and other information about you or your company or organisation where you provide services to HY Education
Special categories of personal data:
We do not collect any special Category data about our clients (this includes details about your race or ethnicity, religious or philosophical beliefs, sex life, sexual orientation, political opinions, trade union membership, information about your health, and genetic and biometric data). However, we may collect special category data where it is necessary for progressing your instructions.
We may, in some circumstances, process criminal conviction data where necessary to undertake client instructions.
How we use your personal data
We use your personal data for the following purposes:
- To register you as a new customer on our client and financial management systems
- To manage our relationship with you in accordance with the services you use
- To complete your instructions such as giving legal advice and bringing and defending claims
- To provide you with a bill for the services you subscribe to and obtain payment
- To respond to queries, arrange meetings and deal with complaints
- To administer and protect our business and this website (including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, system maintenance, support, reporting and hosting of data)
- To inform existing business customers about new products and services
Legal basis for processing
Where we process personal information, our legal basis for processing will generally be legitimate interest. We have set out below the legitimate interests which we pursue, which as you would expect, are necessary for us to manage our relationships with clients, suppliers, and third-party service providers. Where we are required to process personal data by our regulators, our legal basis for processing is legal obligation.
Where we process special category data as part of our instructions, our legal basis for processing is substantial public interest (administration of justice). Where we process criminal conviction data we will do this as only as far as necessary for the purpose of, or in connection with, any legal proceedings (including prospective legal proceedings), giving legal advice, or otherwise for the purposes of establishing, exercising or defending legal rights.
- providing legal services
- managing our business and our relationship with you
- understanding and responding to inquiries
- understanding how our clients use our services and website
- improving our services and offerings
- enforcing our terms of engagement
- managing our suppliers
- developing relationships with business partners
- ensuring debts are paid
Where no other legal basis applies, we will obtain your consent
Who do we share your personal information with?
We will only share your personal information with third parties if we are required to do so by law for regulatory purposes.
We may also share client data with third party-service providers who we use to provide case management financial management systems. Where we use third-party processors, we ensure that a data processor agreement is in place, compliant with the requirements of the GDPR.
Requesting access to your personal data
Under data protection legislation, you have the right to request access to personal information that we hold about you. To make a request for your personal information please do so by telephone or email to Dean Hulse (DPO@hyeducation.co.uk).
Under certain circumstances, by law you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal information (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal information we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate information we hold about you corrected.
- Request erasure of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal information where you have exercised your right to object to processing (see below).
- Object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
- Request the restriction of processing of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal information about you, for example if you want us to establish its accuracy or the reason for processing it.
- Request the transfer of your personal information to another party.
Complaints and further information
If you have a concern about the way we are collecting or using your personal data, you should raise your concern with us in the first instance or directly to the Information Commissioner’s Office at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/
If you would like to discuss anything in this privacy notice, please contact Dean Hulse.